It's Friday and the Local Food Hub truck is out and about, stuffed full of local potatoes, winter squash, turnips, onions and apples and making donation drops at both the Haven and the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank in Charlottesville. Here's to a good weekend and healthy eating for all.
Also, here's our new weekly round up the latest food news, articles, events and happenings on the web this week. Did you see something we missed? Let us know...
- Caitlin Flanagan's (astoundingly wrongheaded, utterly baffling) article in the Atlantic goes for the jugular, taking down schoolyard gardens across America: Cultivating Failure.
- Thankfully, many, many critics join the discussion: Mother Jones, Civil Eats, Grist and Serious Eats to name just a few.
- The New York Times runs a fantastic editorial on some urgent issues facing the meat industry. Choice quote: "Investigators working for a division of the Agriculture Department that oversees school lunch programs found higher rates of salmonella in meat from Beef Products than from other vendors."
- What's a Community Kitchen?
- Restaurant Week is coming! Make your reservations now and enjoy some locally prepared deliciousness!
- Can an apple a day blow your budget? In some cases, yep.
image credit: whirledkid/Creative Commons